Top Ten Tips for Writing a College Essay
January 9, 2018
- Be stress-free- do not delay writing
- Break the essay down into smaller parts.
- Write about the “true blue” you! Don’t be phony; admission officers see “right
- Writing a “boring” essay will bore the college admissions officer
- Do not use others’ work!
- College admissions officers have seen it all; you will not fool anyone!
Take a risk
- Admission officers are looking for students who are a “good fit!”
- Do not be afraid to take some risk (… but not too risky…)!
Keep your focus
- Do not go off topic – do not ramble, over-brag or make self-righteous comments.
- Prior to writing the essay, outline or web your thoughts to help stay on task.
Write and rewrite
Get a second opinion
- As a strong writer to read and comment on your essay
- Do not send your essay unless you have input from others!
- Run a “spell check”
- Carefully read the essay looking for minor typos
- Use a checklist to specifically go over each paragraph of the essay.
Applying online is equal to sending an essay the “old fashioned way.”
- Take the online essay submission seriously, it requires formal writing skills.
- Do not write similar to when texting or emailing a friend.